“I help a corporate octopus reimagine itself as democratic infrastructure rigorously accountable to those it holds power over.”
I am Microsoft’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer Political Economist and Social Technologist (OCTOPEST), where I advise Microsoft’s senior leaders on macroeconomics, geopolitics and the future of technology. I report to Fatima Kardar under Kevin Scott (our CTO) and work closely with Jaron Lanier and Lila Tretikov.
There I lead the OCTO Pluralistic Organization Division (OCTOPOD), managing Jody Medich, Divya Siddarth and, through Jody, Evelyn Eastmond, M Eifler, and Vi Hart. Our mission statement is available in full here, and its poetic epigraph, adapted from the same for Taiwan’s Digital Minister Audrey Tang is:
- When we see “internet of things”, let’s make it an internet of beings.
- When we see “online democracy”, let’s make it deliberative democracy.
- When we see “virtual reality”, let’s make it a shared reality.
- When we see “new economy”, let’s make it a dignified economy.
- When we see “machine learning”, let’s make it collaborative learning.
- When we see “digital identity”, let’s make it intersectional identity.
- And when we hear “the singularity is near”, let us remember: the Plurality is here.